The school bus is an extension of the classroom. The conduct of students to and from school is an important part of the total school program. We strive for a positive, safe beginning and ending of your child’s day.
Maintaining order on school buses requires the cooperation of students, parents, bus drivers and school administrators. The role of the bus driver is to be in complete charge of the bus and students. Because the driver must give his total attention to driving, students must conduct themselves in a manner that will not distract the driver. Parents and administrators contribute by reinforcing the importance of proper behavior.
School bus rules are similar to those in the classroom, be considerate of others, remain seated, do not push or throw objects and obey the driver. Because everyone’s safety is affected, not following the rules may be cause for suspension of riding privileges.
Please take a few minutes to review the rules listed below. Following these will promote a safe and positive bus ride for your child. Any concern or questions regarding transportation should be brought to the attention of the Transportation office at 814-641-2126.
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR PARENTS OF KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS.
It is District policy that an adult/caretaker (MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD) must be visible for the bus driver to drop your child off at their stop. If no adult/caretaker is present at the time of drop off, the child will be taken back to the school. You will be notified that your child has been returned to the school and it will be your responsibility to pick up your child from there.
When waiting for the school bus:
- Arrive at our bus stop location at least 5 minutes before the scheduled top time.
- Wait for the bus in an area off the main roadway, being respectful of others and the property around the bus stop.
When boarding the bus:
- Wait until the bus has come to a complete stop. The red flashing lights and stop arm will be activated and the door will open.
- If you must cross the street, always cross at least 10 feet in front of the school bus.
- Board the bus, go directly to your assigned seat, and sit down.
While on the bus:
- The driver is in charge. Follow the driver’s instructions and rules at all times.
- Students must remain stated at all times.
- Students may talk quietly. Shouting or profanity is not acceptable.
- Items that can be safely held on your lap, without endangering the safety and comfort of others, may be brought on the bus.
- No animals of any kind are allowed on the bus.
- students must keep hands and head inside the bus windows.
- Do not damage the bus in any way.
When exiting the bus:
- Students must remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Check the area around your seat- pick up trash and take all belongings with you.
- Leave the bus in a orderly manner.
- If you must cross the street, always cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus. Look both ways before crossing.
- NEVER walk along the side or in back of the bus.